Social and emotional connection is one of the critical aspects that balance our minds and thoughts. Emotional connect keeps us more active throughout the day through our interactions with the near and dear ones. The connection mostly happens physically and externally. It has now come near to a stand-still. A pandemic has changed our lives in the way we communicate, the way we think and live. Emotional satisfaction cannot be at the same level as it was before, even if there is technology in place to connect during pandemic times. It is a fact that there is a higher chance of losing our confidence when there is a fear looming among the people across the globe. At the same time, we have to face reality. Anxiety, worry about the uncertainty of the future, starts distracting the mind along with social distancing. We feel disturbed when strict measures like "social distancing" is enforced. As a result, emotional balancing during pandemic times becomes difficult. This imbalance will undoubtedly affect the professional output even if we are allowed to work from home. Quite a lot of householders are now forced to manage the work at home & to work from home. When those who used to travel and work at the office, meeting people, are forced to stay inside a room or house, mind and thoughts too will start changing its pattern. Those who planned to go on a vacation trip with the family will also get affected as it is not possible at the moment. If we look at this situation as a whole, it is a challenging state in life for the professionals with pay cuts, uncertainty about the future, children's future getting affected, etc. How can you overcome these traumas and ensure the emotional balance during pandemic times? Here are some options.
We are pretty much clear that whether we interact with the external world or we stay back in the house, it is our mind that gets affected. There are some simple but effective ways to manage these fears and anxieties that would arise in this pandemic situation. Emotional balancing during pandemic times is possible with little self-effort. Firstly, we have to instill confidence within. Believe yourself first. Understand that anxiety and worry will NOT help you in any situation. This attitude is essential. This attitude will always help you to overcome adverse conditions in life—the pandemic situation for all the people across the globe and not just for us.
Few tips are here to adapt to the situation with emotional balancing during pandemic times. It is through various exercises for the mind:
- Find satisfaction with what you have at the moment rather than thinking about what you don't have.
- Interact with others who are more affected than you. We should look around and be empathetic.
- Eat Healthily – try to keep your food light, unlike what was it during regular working days
- Find some time to do something which you love the most
- Engage your mind to learn something new to increase your professional productivity
- Understand that this is the best time to rediscover your hobbies – Painting, stitching, singing, listening to music, reading, writing, gardening, etc.
- Spend time to love and take care of the elderly and older people in the family.
- Keep yourself away from negative news as well as interacting with such people.
- This is the best time to teach your kids (if there are kids at home) about household duties and emotionally connect with the near and dear ones at home and family.
- Communicate regularly with people whom you love the most in life.
Simple Yoga Breathing Technique for Emotional Balancing during Pandemic times
- Emotional balancing during pandemic times is possible by practicing simple yogic breathing techniques. This can be practiced anytime, preferably before or after 3 hours of taking food.
- Sit comfortably (you can lie down too)
- Place your hands below the navel
- Just tune your mind and focus on breathing.
- Both inhalation and exhalation have to happen naturally without any efforts.
- Focus on the passage of the nostrils and the air moving through the nostrils
- Switch your focus towards the rising hands in between.
- Start counting forward and backward. While inhaling, it can be 1,2,3 Exhalation can be 3, 2, 1. The count must be by witnessing your breathe.
- Watch your breath closely and relax
- There is no time duration for this; take your own time as long as you are comfortable.
I recommend practicing by sitting on a chair or a yoga mat. Practice this every day during a designated time.
Mindful Breathing Technique for Emotional Balancing during Pandemic times
- Practice this for a minimum of 15 minutes every day. It's effortless, practice it anytime – walking, standing, sitting, etc.
- The easiest way to practice mindful breathing without much effort is simply to focus your attention on your breath, inhale, and exhale.
- Do this while standing, strolling, or while sitting comfortably or even lying in a comfortable position.
- It doesn't matter whether your eyes are opened or closed. It is always better to maintain closed eyes to have more focus and effect from the practice. It can be a part of your routine by assigning some time every day. At the same time, it can also help if you practice it when you're feeling particularly stressed or anxious. Psychological experts suggest this practice for relaxation when the situation becomes difficult for you to handle.
- It is always recommended to keep the spine straight during the practice. The spine is the key to making you happy and depressed as it is directly connected with the brain.
- Relax completely – both physically and mentally.
- Focus on your breath. Feel the natural flow of breath—in, out. You don't need to do anything to your breath. Let it be completely natural.
- Now, as you do this, you might notice that your mind may start to wander. You may start thinking about other things. If this happens, it is not a problem. It's very natural. Just notice that your mind has wandered. Once you see this, bring your thoughts back to breathing. Continue this process as much as you can.
Stay Positive, Stay Healthy – Physically && Mentally!!